Riverside Birth Defects and Birth Injuries
- Auto Accident
- Birth Defects
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injuries
- Case Results Inland Empire
- Construction Accidents
- Fatal Accidents
- Insurance Fraud
- Long Term Disability
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Organizations Events Inland Empire
- Personal Injury
- Practice Areas
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Riverside Office
- Slip Fall
- Workplace Injuries
- Wrongful Death
Families that have babies with birth defects or birth injuries know too well how difficult it can be to deal with. The tragedy is made worse when realizing that the cause of the birth defect or injury is preventable.
Birth injuries can occur due to inadequate medical care during delivery. Birth defects occur during the development of the baby, and can be caused by dangerous prescription drugs taken during pregnancy.
If your baby is born with a birth defect or injury that you believe could have been prevented, contact Aitken * Aitken * Cohn for help. Our personal injury attorneys are compassionate in these types of situations. We fight aggressively and tirelessly to ensure the person or company responsible is held accountable for their actions. To find out how we can help you and your baby seek and obtain justice, please contact us today.
There are more than 4,000 known birth defects, affecting 150,000 children born every year in the United States. Statistics show that an infant born in America has a 3 percent chance of being born with a major birth defect. Statistics also show that 20 percent of all infant deaths are due to birth defects, and that they are the leading killer of children under one year old.
Some of the most serious and preventable birth defects include:
- Neural Tube Birth Defects - these types of birth defects affect the spine and brain, like Spina Bifida.
- Congenital Heart Defects - these include abnormally formed valves, abnormal connections in heart chambers, and holes in the heart.
- Congenital abnormalities – these include cleft lip, cleft palate, and limb reductions.
Prescription Drugs that Cause Birth Defects
A number of prescription medications have been linked to the development of birth defects in babies whose mother’s take the drug while pregnant. A few examples include:
- Thalidomide - even a single dose of thalidomide during pregnancy can cause birth defects. The types of birth defects include missing limbs, and malformations of the eyes, ears, kidneys and genitals.
- Accutane - this popular acne medication is known to cause visual and auditory impairment, deformed ears, facial clefts and facial asymmetries.
- Paxil, Zoloft, and other SSRI Drugs - these anti-depressants cause congenital heart defects and PPHN, which is a serious lung condition. It has also been linked to rare cranial defects.
- Topamax – this drug has been linked to the development of cleft lip and cleft palate in babies that are exposed to the drug during the first trimester.
Birth injuries are different from birth defects, in that they occur during the actual birth process. Birth injuries can be caused by a number of mistakes made by healthcare providers before, during and shortly after birth. When a birth injury is caused by a healthcare providers mistake, we believe the parents and baby should be compensated. Mistakes that lead to birth injuries can include:
- Leaving the fetus in the birth canal for too long
- Oxygen deprivation
- Forceps or vacuum trauma to the brain
- Failure to detect fetal trauma
- Failure to perform cesareans when necessary
Contact the Law Firm of Aitken * Aitken * Cohn
While no amount of money can make up for birth injuries and birth defects caused by drugs, financial compensation can help you deal with the emotional and financial stresses. A qualified attorney can also help you get the highest quality care your child needs.
Contact a Riverside birth defect lawyer at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn today.