Santa Ana Wrongful Death Attorney
Compassionate Wrongful Death Attorneys Serving Santa Ana, California
Nearly every day in Santa Ana and around California, wrongful deaths happen. Accidents that may have been avoided due to irresponsible and negligent property owners, unsafe workplaces, and negligent drivers all occur often. Talk with an experienced Santa Ana wrongful death attorney at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn if you recently lost a loved one in an accident of any kind, such as a vehicle accident or medical negligence, for support during this trying time.
At our Santa Ana law office, we provide sympathetic legal advice and free wrongful death case evaluations. Your family might be owed a sizable sum of compensation by someone.
Santa Ana Wrongful Death Cases
Negligence usually results in wrongful deaths. Many times, a fatal accident—like a car accident in Santa Ana—causes the decedent’s wrongful death. Many accidents-related deaths are regarded as wrongful deaths, though not all of them are. Failure to use reasonable care to prevent loss can result in significant injury to others. This is negligence. A wrongful death occurs when one person’s negligence results in another person’s death.
According to California law, some surviving family members may file a lawsuit against the negligent person, company, or other parties that caused their loved one’s passing. The surviving family should pursue this by getting in touch with a Santa Ana wrongful death attorney.
Who May File a Claim for Wrongful Death?
In California, any of the following parties may file a wrongful death claim:
- domestic partner
- surviving offspring
Any individual who would be entitled to the decedent’s property under the laws of intestate succession may launch a lawsuit if none of the aforementioned persons are there. This would give precedence to family members who were living with the victim before the death, which may include parents, siblings, or cousins.
If the following parties can demonstrate that they were financially reliant on the deceased, they may be eligible to file a claim with the aid of a California wrongful death attorney:
- Common law partners and their children
Wrongful Death Damages
The following damages can be recovered in a wrongful death case:
- The financial support that the deceased provided to the remaining family members is sometimes lost when someone dies in an accident. Depending on whose projected life span is shorter, this amount may be given for as long as the claimant’s or the deceased’s expected life span.
- Any funeral home costs and additional burial charges.
- The financial value of any contribution that the deceased would have given.
Another type of damage is non-economic losses. Non-economic damages are significantly more difficult to measure than economic damages, which may be linked to a financial number. The monetary worth of these damages can be proven to a jury by our Santa Ana wrongful death attorney.
Non-economic damages consist of:
- The lack of care the successor receives as a result of the death. This can include the guidance, advice, help, safety, and love that the person would have provided if they were still living.
- The end of sexual relations for the victim’s spouse.
- The emotional suffering of the heirs, their financial situation, or whether the death was in agony or suffered before passing away may not be taken into consideration by the jury when determining the value of these non-economic damages. One caveat to this rule is that if the person filing the claim saw the accident or their loved one’s passing, they may be entitled to compensation for their emotional suffering.
The survivors must discuss their case with a knowledgeable attorney as soon as possible due to the emotional hardship and legal complexity of a wrongful death lawsuit.
Get In Touch With Our Santa Ana Wrongful Death Lawyer
Our Santa Ana wrongful death attorney has guided several clients through the trying situations brought on by these devastating losses and is knowledgeable about the nature of wrongful death lawsuits. We are here to assist you if you need assistance with dealing with a family member’s death, hospital expenses, insurance firms, and funeral and burial costs. Contact us today.