Skilled Car Accident Attorneys in Riverside, California
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported a 3.1 percent decrease in roadway fatalities for the first half of 2018 as compared to 2017 data. Despite some encouraging statistics, according to The Accident Data Center: “Riverside car accidents cause more injury, death, and economic loss than any other crime or civic issue.”
Car accidents are regular occurrences around the city and county of Riverside. Unfortunately, every day, someone in our community is injured on our roadways from preventable causes. Victims of automobile accidents are more than statistics. These are our friends, neighbors, and family members, and compensation is expected and justified when they are injured in an automobile accident.
Although car accidents seem commonplace, it doesn’t make them any less traumatic when it happens to you. An accident involving a car can be a life-altering event. If you or a loved one has been injured in a serious auto accident, contact the experienced Riverside car accident attorneys at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn today. At Aitken * Aitken * Cohn, we leverage our collective experience to effectively analyze statutes, research case law, and develop mechanisms to enhance our clients’ chances for maximum, financial recovery. Our Riverside personal injury lawyers proudly serve clients throughout Riverside and Southern California.
Why Work With Our Riverside Car Accident Attorney?
One of California’s most respected civil litigation law firms, Aitken * Aitken * Cohn is dedicated exclusively to representing plaintiffs, whether it be the most seriously injured individual, a family that has lost a loved one, or a business entity/consumer victimized by unfair and fraudulent business practices. The firm enjoys a national reputation for the quality of its trial skills and the aggressive representation it provides on behalf of its clients. This reputation was built on a foundation of numerous trial victories, settlements, and precedent-setting appellate decisions and is nurtured by the firm’s continuing commitment to each of its clients. While the firm’s success has translated into substantial recoveries for its clients, our Orange County personal injury lawyers derive equal satisfaction from the knowledge that these cases have also promoted a safer, more fair society.
–From our firm’s brochure
Common Types of Auto Accidents
All auto accidents are not created equal, and many will involve complicated liability issues. At Aitken * Aitken * Cohn, we have successfully handled a diverse mixture of single-car, multi-vehicle, and commercial vehicle accidents, including (but not limited to):
The aftermath of an automobile accident can be incredibly overwhelming. Our Riverside personal injury attorneys are skilled researchers, investigators, and negotiators who remain singularly focused on helping our clients seek justice and maximum compensation. If you or someone in your family was injured in a Southern California car accident that was caused by someone else, financial compensation is possible with the help of a car accident lawyer in Riverside.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Riverside
No matter how safely we drive, there is always the possibility of being involved in an accident due to someone’s negligence. Whether the fault is determined by subjective or objective standards, it is a critical element of a personal injury case.
Every driver has a responsibility (or duty of reasonable care) to exercise caution and follow established regulations. When a driver is not careful and does not live up to this duty, they may be held liable in an auto injury case. Some examples of driver negligence include:
- Aggressive and reckless behavior, such as changing lanes too quickly, or speeding is a major contributor to roadway accidents. Aggressive drivers are responsible for collisions and property damage that happen because they were passing on the right, yelling and impulsively, and continually honking or flashing their car lights.
- Disobeying traffic signs and signals is both reckless and illegal. Running a red light, or failing to yield right-of-way can cause serious and life-threatening injuries.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is one of the most dangerous causes of accidents in the United States—and is the most deadly. In 2016, 15 percent of all drivers killed in motor vehicle crashes, who were tested, tested positive for legal and/or illegal drugs. Prescription medication can have sedating side effects that make driving hazardous. As of January 1, 2018, California became the sixth state to legalize the sale of marijuana. It is against the law to use marijuana while operating a motor vehicle.
- Road rage is violent and dangerous behavior. Some common manifestations of road rage are:
- Shouting verbal abuse, obscenities, or threats
- Intentionally causing a collision
- Threatening to use or using a firearm or other deadly weapon
- Throwing projectiles from a moving vehicle
- Failure to adjust to poor weather conditions such as heavy rain, or limited visibility due to fog.
- Distracted driving remains a leading cause of car accidents, despite California laws that ban all drivers from using handheld cell phones while driving (whether the driver lives in California or not.) In addition to phone calls and texting, eating, reading, and grooming while driving can cause accidents.
- Night driving: Lack of visibility makes hazards more difficult to see at night. Our ability to perceive and judge distance is severely impaired at night. Driving after dark is a major cause of car accidents.
- Wrong-Way driving and improper turns are not uncommon, especially when drivers are not familiar with the area. Momentary lapses in judgment while driving a car can cause life-changing accidents.
- Driver fatigue is one of the top causes of car accidents since drowsy drivers are unable to adequately perceive, react, and respond to situations on the road. A 2018 study sponsored by the Automobile Association Of America (AAA) revealed drowsiness was identified in 8.8 percent–9.5 percent of all crashes examined, and in 10.6 percent–10.8 percent of crashes that resulted in significant property damage and airbag deployment.
- Following too closely, also known as tailgating, is a leading cause of rear-end collisions. This type of crash can frequently cause serious personal injury and trauma to the neck, spine, brain, and back.
- Inexperienced drivers and teenage drivers may lack the experience necessary to drive defensively.
If a driver’s negligence has made you an auto accident statistic on Riverside County roads, you need the experienced personal injury litigators at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn. Our founding partner, Wylie Aitken, has received a “Best Lawyer distinction” for 31 consecutive years, and we are proud to say each of our qualified lawyers, eight in total, have been included in the 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
It is possible for design defects or manufacturing errors of an automobile to cause a malfunction and an accident. For example:
Cases involving automotive malfunctions are complex, and often involve large automobile or parts manufacturers and the mega law firms that represent them. You need experienced litigators on your side; while each situation is unique and it is not possible to predict future outcomes based on past results, consider this recent case:
Aitken * Aitken * Cohn was part of a team of 30 law firms and 80 plus lawyers that represented millions of Toyota vehicle owners in the largest automobile class-action lawsuit settlement in U.S. history. $1.63 billion.
Road Conditions and Sovereign Immunity
When injury or damage from auto accidents are caused by government employees, or from preventable road conditions, litigation against the city or state may be possible. The California Tort Claims Act allows a victim to file suit against the government under certain conditions and time constraints. There is a six-month window (from the date of injury) to initiate a claim, and the administrative process is not always simple.
“Paralyzed 9-Year-Old Girl and Her Mother Receive a Precedent Shattering $55 Million Judgment Against the United States Government After a Five Year Ordeal”
Some examples of dangerous road conditions that can cause car accidents are:
- Poor drainage
- Uneven roads
- Obstructed view from vegetation growth
- Construction sites / debris
- Loose gravel
- Broken guardrails
- Missing or faded reflective paint
- Icy conditions on overpasses and bridges
- Missing signage