Fullerton Car Accident Attorney
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, approximately 3,600 people die in fatal California motor vehicle crashes every year. Following an accident, you might be suffering from painful injuries, mounting medical bills, and lost wages. If you were a victim in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you should not have to go through this process alone. A knowledgeable Fullerton or Orange County car accident attorney can protect your rights during this challenging time in your life.
California Car Accident Statistics
Of the 3,606 traffic fatalities that occurred in 2019, the most common types of these motor vehicle accidents involved:
- Alcohol impairment – 1,066 people were killed in California motor vehicle accidents involving a driver with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or higher.
- Drug impairment – 50 percent of all drivers killed in motor vehicle collisions who were tested tested positive for drugs.
- Motorcycles – Another 474 motorcyclists died in traffic accidents for the year. Only 28 of them were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
- Pedestrians – 972 pedestrians were killed in motor vehicle collisions in the state.
- Bicycles – 133 cyclists were killed during the year.
- Teen drivers – 164 of the crashes involved teens between 16 and 19 years of age. Teen driver fatalities decreased 12.7 percent from 95 the year before to 83.
How a Lawyer Can Help with Your Car Accident Claim
If you were injured in a car accident, a Fullerton car accident attorney can protect your health and your legal claim by:
- Making sure that you receive appropriate medical services to properly diagnose, treat, and monitor your injuries
- Thoroughly investigating the accident and identifying who is responsible for your injuries
- Reviewing evidence from the crash site, which might include photos, video footage from dash or red light cameras, damage from the vehicles involved in the accident, accident reports, and eyewitness testimony
- Consulting with experts, as necessary, to determine how the accident occurred, who is responsible for it, and how your injuries may impact your life
- Reviewing all insurance policies that apply to the case
- Communicating with the insurance company on your behalf
- Negotiating for full and fair compensation with the insurance company
- Advising you of your legal rights throughout the process
- Resolving healthcare liens involved in your case to maximize your compensation
Proving Fault in a Car Accident Claim
California is an at-fault insurance state, meaning that the person responsible for causing the accident is also responsible for the damages they cause. As such, the first order of business is to prove that the other driver is at fault for the accident. Your lawyer can identify and gather evidence to establish fault in your accident case, such as:
- The police report
- Photos or videos of the accident scene, damaged vehicles, and injuries
- Eyewitness statements
- Data from event data recorders
- Cell phone records if distracted driving is suspected
- Medical records
Do’s and Don’ts After a Car Accident
If you were involved in a Fullerton car accident, here are some guidelines to keep in mind:
Do Report the Accident
The other driver may try to convince you not to report the accident or assure you that they’ll handle it. Don’t believe them. It’s critical that you report the accident and establish a written record of what happened.
Do Seek Prompt Medical Attention
The moments after an accident can be confusing, and the adrenaline can mask the symptoms of an injury. Get checked out as soon as possible to begin treating your injuries.
Do Seek Help from a Reputable Lawyer
Managing a car accident claim on top of all your other responsibilities can be daunting. A Fullerton car accident attorney can handle your claim while you focus on more pressing matters.
Don’t Sign Anything
After you file a claim, the insurance company may send you documents to sign, such as a release of liability or a request to obtain your medical records. Do not sign anything without first talking to a knowledgeable lawyer.
Don’t Discuss Your Claim on Social Media
Insurance companies and investigators may troll your social media accounts to try to find something to use against you, such as an inconsistent statement or a picture of you smiling through the pain.
Don’t Give Up
Even if the insurance company denies your claim, do not give up. A lawyer may be able to present evidence and legal arguments to secure compensation on your behalf.
Potential Damages in a Fullerton Car Accident Claim
If another person’s negligence caused your car accident, you can pursue compensation for all accident-related expenses, such as:
- Medical expenses – The costs associated with emergency treatment, surgery, hospitalizations, follow-up care, medicine, assistive devices, and other medical needs can be substantial. You can pursue compensation for the losses you have already incurred, as well as though you reasonably anticipate in the future.
- Property damage – You can pursue compensation for the cost to repair or replace your damaged vehicle, as well as any other personal property damaged in the vehicle.
- Lost wages or income – You can recover compensation for the lost wages you incurred because of the accident, as well as any reduction in your earning capacity if you were disabled due to the incident.
- Pain and suffering – In addition to those damages that can be easily quantified, California’s personal injury laws give personal injury victims the right to recover compensation for their non-economic damages. This includes physical pain and suffering, as well as mental and emotional anguish and distress.
Many people wonder what the value of their claim is, but this can be a difficult question to ask because every case is different. An experienced personal injury lawyer will evaluate the damages you suffered as outlined above, as well as other factors that can affect the value of your claim, such as what insurance coverage is available and whether you contributed to the accident.
Contact a Fullerton Car Accident Attorney for Help with Your Claim
If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, the Fullerton car accident attorneys at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn. We are a reputable California firm, known for our impressive results and commitment to client service. Our Orange County injury lawyers provide a free consultation to discuss your legal rights and options Contact us to get started today.