Irvine Car Accident Attorney
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 3,606 people died in fatal car accidents in California in one recent year. Most of these “accidents” are actually due to driver carelessness. If you have been injured in a car crash in Irvine, Aitken * Aitken * Cohn can help.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Common causes of car accidents in Irvine include:
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is engaging in any type of behavior that takes one’s eyes or attention away from the task of driving or their hands off the steering wheel. While texting while driving is one of the most well-known forms of distracted driving, it is not the only form. Other examples of distracted driving include talking on a phone, drinking, eating, grooming, reading, looking out the window, talking to passengers, tending to children or pets in the backseat, fiddling with car controls, or entering information into a GPS unit or app while driving.
- Impaired driving – Drugs, alcohol, prescription medications, and certain over-the-counter medications can impair a driver’s ability to safely operate a vehicle. Impairment can cause everything from lowered inhibitions to delayed reaction times, which can increase the odds of crashes.
- Disregarding traffic signals – Traffic control devices and signs like traffic lights, stop signs, and yield signs help control the flow of traffic. When people disregard them, preventable accidents can occur.
- Speeding – Speeding can make it take longer for a driver to stop once they recognize a hazard. It can also cause them to lose control of the vehicle.
- Reckless driving – Drivers may engage in aggressive or reckless driving behaviors that increase the odds of a crash, such as sudden increases or decreases in speed, weaving between lanes, braking without explanation, or tailgating other drivers.
How a Lawyer Can Help with Your Car Accident Claim
An Orange County car accident attorney can assist you with every aspect of your personal injury claim, including:
- Investigating the accident scene
- Interviewing witnesses who saw the accident
- Gathering evidence to establish the other driver was at fault for the crash
- Consulting with your medical providers to understand your prognosis and medical needs
- Communicating with the insurance company
- Presenting evidence to establish liability and damages in your case
- Negotiating with the insurance company for a fair settlement
- Children or grandchildren
Potential Damages in Car Accident Cases
Damages in a car accident case represent the economic and non-economic losses you suffer because of the other driver’s negligence. They may include:
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Lost wages
- Lost or reduced earning potential if the accident caused you to become disabled or unable to earn the same living you did before the accident
- Medical expenses, including anticipated medical expenses in the future
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
Contact Aitken * Aitken * Cohn for Help with Your Car Accident Claim
If you were injured in a car accident, contact Aitken * Aitken * Cohn for help. Our experienced Irvine car accident attorneys can get to work building a strong claim on your behalf. We can handle your legal claim while you focus on your recovery. We offer a free case review so you can learn about your rights at no charge to you.