Richard (Rich) Cohn is a persistent, aggressive trial attorney who takes a "turn every stone" approach toward the legal matters he handles. He was recognized as one of the "Top 500 Litigators in the Nation" in the inaugural issue of Law Dragon Magazine, and was one of only three lawyers in Orange County, California to receive that distinction. The magazine again recognized him as one of the Nation's Top 3000 Plaintiff's Lawyers in America. He has been repeatedly designated a Southern California "Super Lawyer" by Los Angeles Magazine and Law and Politics. He is also listed in U.S. News and World Report's as a "Best Lawyer" in the category of Personal Injury Litigation.
Rich is "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubble's Law Directory — which issues such ratings only to those attorneys who have demonstrated preeminent legal ability and the highest professional and ethical standards. In 2008, he received the Orange County Trial Lawyers Association's prestigious "Top Gun" award, for his work in the field of Medical Malpractice.
Rich received his Bachelor's Degree, Cum Laude, from University of California at San Diego (UCSD) in 1985 with a double major in Political Science and Communications. He obtained his juris doctorate degree from U.S.C. Law School in 1989, graduating among the top quarter of his class. He began his legal career at the law firm of McGinnis, Fitzgerald, Reese, Sharkey & McIntyre in San Diego, California, specializing in the field of medical malpractice defense. In July of 1990, he joined the Offices of Wylie Aitken and became a named Partner in January 2001, thus changing the name officially to Aitken Aitken Cohn.
He is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars including for California Continuing Education for The Bar (CEB) as well as for the State and Local Trial and Bar Association. He has also been interviewed on multiple occasions by both television and print news media regarding a variety of high profile cases. He continues to be retained as an expert witness on behalf of both the plaintiff and the defense in legal malpractice matters.
When Rich gets a free moment from fighting on behalf of his deserving clients, he likes to jam out on the guitar or hit the surf. Rich was married in 1993 and has two children. They live in Newport Beach, California.
Mr. Cohn has been trial counsel in a variety of lengthy, complex and high profile trials and arbitrations as well as settlements which have resulted in multimillion dollar results. Examples include:
- Small v. County of Orange (involving the attack of a mountain lion on a young child in a public park — Verdict: $2,100,000);
- Chavez v. Altig (a complex medical malpractice case wherein a 25 year old man was blinded as a result of anesthesia during ankle surgery — Verdict: $3,800,000);
- Scott v. Burges Transportation, et al. (wherein a Journeyman immigrant plumbing contractor was seriously injured when he was run over by a dump truck on a construction site — Verdict: $1,900,000);
- "M" v. Wings Express Aviation, et al. (an aviation case wherein a Piper Cherokee VI aircraft crashed at Fullerton Airport due to a combination of contaminated fuel and poor maintenance — Verdict: $2,760,535)
- Daily v Stueve Brother Farms, LLC (business dispute – Verdict $5,800,000) (2015)
- Doe vs State of California: $15 million wrongful death settlement on behalf of 2 minor children who lost their father in an auto accident caused by texting while driving. (2013);
- $3.5 million settlement in personal injury matter involving complex course and scope of employment issues (2014);
- $4 million dollar settlement for personal injury to a man who dove into a shallow pool and was rendered quadriplegic. (2012);
- $6 million dollar settlement for a young man who was neglected by paramedics despite signs of spinal cord injury, rendering him quadriplegic (2014);
- $3 million settlement for the wrongful death of a construction site worker struck by a dump truck (Bodine v. Western Trucking) (2006);
- $7.25 million dollar settlement for a new mother who received a morphine overdose in the hospital after a C-Section, (Case I.D. confidential) (2007);
- A settlement for over $3 Million for the wrongful death of an elderly woman struck by a bus in a crosswalk (Case I.D. confidential) (2006);
- $1.8 Million settlement for the wrongful death of a husband/father electrocuted when he contacted power lines (Case I.D. confidential) (2006);
- $2.4 million settlement in a medical malpractice matter involving the wrongful death of an executive/father of three due to anesthesiology error (Brown v. Neff, M.D., et al.)
- $4 million settlement on behalf of a teenage boy who was not timely treated for hydrocephalus (2015)
- $4.5 million settlement for a baby injured at birth after failure to identify cardiac anomaly on prenatal ultrasound (2016)
- A record $2.1 million dollar settlement for an 80 year old auto v. pedestrian victim (believed to be then the highest personal injury award in California history for a victim over the age of 80). (Rubio v. Allstate Ins.) (2003)
- $4.0 million dollar settlement in a hard fought, complex birth injury case (Doe v. Roe Hospital) (2007)
- $2.4 million settlement on the eve of trial in another Orange County birth injury matter (2008).
He has also briefed and argued a variety of appellate matters, and argued before the California Supreme Court in an insurance coverage dispute which resulted in over 140 pages of majority and dissenting opinion.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice (Over 50% caseload)
- Serious Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Product Liability/Medical Devices
- Premises Liability
- Aviation Tort Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, President (2001-2002)
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, Vice President (1998-1999)
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, President (1997)
- Orange County Bar Association, Chairman of Education (2016 - present)
- United Cerebral Palsy Association of Orange County, Board of Directors and Past President
- Banyard Inn of Court, Master Bencher
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
- Celtic Bar Association of Orange County, Member
- Public Law Center, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Best Lawyer, Medical Malpractice, Best Lawyers in America (2012-2017)
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine (2006-2017)
- Martindale-Hubell AV-Rating and Judicial Award (2017)
- Top Attorneys of the Inland Empire, Inland Empire Magazine (2016)
- 10 Best Attorneys in Client Satisfaction, American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys (2015)
- Top 50: Orange County Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine (2014)
- Top 500 Litigators in The Nation, LawDragon Magazine
- Nation's Top 3000 Plaintiff's Lawyers in America, LawDragon Magazine
- Top Gun, Medical Malpractice, Orange County Trial Lawyers Association (2008)
Speaking Engagements (Recent)
- Organization Name: OCBA/OCTLA
Title: Is the Policy Open? Insurance Law
- Organization Name: OCBA
Title: Expert Depositions
- Publication Name: Advocate
Title: "Construction Site Injury for hirers of Independent Contractors: Many roads Still Lead to Liability"
- Publication Name: Advocate
Title: "Products Liability in Plain English"
- Publication Name: Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC) Forum Magazine
Title: Discovery in Products Liability Cases-Back to Basics
- Publication Name: Jefferson's California Evidence Benchbook
Title: Third and Fourth Editions
In the News
Email Richard today