Orange County Bus Accident Attorney
Bus Accident Lawyers In Orange County, California
For many people in Southern California, our bus and mass transit systems are integral to getting to and from work and around town. While some systems serve local customers, others serve larger regions and intercity locations. These will range from buses owned by small private companies and municipalities to large corporate enterprises. Injuries resulting from a serious bus accident can be costly. Even more devastating are the ones that result in the loss of a victim’s life, leaving grieving family members to pick up the pieces. Fortunately, personal injury laws serve to protect victims from others’ negligence. If you have been injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the at-fault party. At Aitken * Aitken * Cohn, our skilled Orange County bus accident attorneys are committed to ensuring that victims of these accidents get fairly compensated by the ones who cause their losses.
You May Be Entitled to Compensation for Your Injuries
Buses and other commercial vehicle accidents can result in serious injuries to other motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists, and passengers. While collisions involving buses are exceptionally costly due to the size and weight of the average bus, injuries that occur to passengers in these accidents can also be medically and financially devastating.
If you have been injured in a bus accident in Orange County, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical expenses and rehabilitation
- Any lost wages
- Personal property damage
- Future possible medical care
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
While compensation usually comes in the form of an insurance settlement after one of these accidents, insurance companies typically don’t offer an initial comprehensive settlement.
Getting fairly compensated will typically require the assistance of an experienced Orange County wrongful death attorney to negotiate a fair recovery. If that is not possible, your lawyer will take the matter before a court of law on your behalf to ensure fair compensation.
The Unique Liability Aspects of Bus Accidents
Injuries resulting from a bus accident caused by negligence will be the liability of the at-fault party. But this requires that the victim be able to prove fault and negligence. In a bus accident, proving negligence can be complicated, especially when the owner of the bus company is a government agency or large company.
Seeking compensation in a bus accident will first depend on the type of bus that was involved:
- Public buses are usually owned by a government agency. Although government entities are typically exempt from civil lawsuits under the concept of sovereign immunity, in California, if the accident was the result of employee negligence, an injury claim can be pursued.
- School buses can be owned by a school district (another government entity) or a private bus company. If owned by a school district, pursuing a school bus accident will be dependent on whether the accident was the result of driver negligence. If owned by a private company, that company can be held liable in a civil claim.
- Private buses can be owned by small local companies or large national corporations. If an accident is caused by a private bus, the company owning that bus can be held liable for damages. The larger the company, the more complicated a claim may be.
The injured party will have the burden of proof to demonstrate that negligence factored into the accident and caused their injuries. Negligence can be on the part of the owner of the bus, a driver, a manufacturer, or an individual responsible for the maintenance of the vehicle. This is why it is critical to have the skilled legal representation of an Orange County bus accident attorney when you have been injured in a bus accident.
Experienced Legal Assistance
If you have suffered injuries in a bus accident in Southern California, get the legal assistance of the experienced Orange County bus accident attorneys at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn. Call us at (866) 434-1424 or contact us through our website contact form to schedule a no-cost consultation to see how we can help you get the compensation you deserve.