Moreno Valley Truck Accident Lawyer
The National Safety Council reports that 4,842 commercial trucks were involved in a fatal collision in 2020. Another 107,000 trucks were involved in collisions causing injuries. While many car accidents are the result of simple mistakes, commercial truck drivers must undergo special training and obtain a commercial driver’s license to professionally drive for a living. If you were injured because of the negligence of a truck driver or their employer, Aitken * Aitken * Cohn is here to help. Our Riverside injury lawyers provide free case consultation to explain your legal rights.
Common Injuries in Truck Accidents
Truck accidents often cause more destruction and more severe injuries than other types of motor vehicle collisions because of their size and weight. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that the average large truck weighs approximately 30 times as much as the average passenger car. Victims are more likely to suffer serious injuries, including death. Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Neck and back injuries
- Arm and leg injuries
- Internal organ damage or bleeding
- Severe lacerations, burns, scarring, and disfigurement
- Broken bones and complex fractures
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Commercial truck drivers are paid by the load. This often creates a dangerous incentive for truck drivers to rush their deliveries so they can get paid more. They might speed, take mind-altering substances to stay awake, and drive while drowsy in violation of hours of service rules. Trucking companies are aware of these safety shortcuts. Some of them even encourage this type of dangerous behavior.
What To Do If You Are Involved in a Truck Accident
If you are involved in a truck accident, there are steps you can take to protect your health and your legal claim, including:
- Seeking medical attention immediately
- Reporting the accident to the police
- Get the truck driver’s name, phone number, address, employer’s name, insurance information, and identifying information about the truck
- Take pictures of the accident and damages
- Complete all follow-up care
- Keep all original medical, employment, and other records that show your losses
Potential Compensation You Can Recover from a Truck Accident
If you were injured in a truck accident, you may be able to recover compensation for the losses you suffered, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses – You may be able to receive money to pay for for emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgery, rehabilitation, medicine medical devices, and other medical expenses.
- Lost wages – Many truck accident injuries are serious. Some may leave you permanently disabled. You can pursue compensation for your lost wages, as well as your reduced earning capacity.
- Property damage – You can also seek compensation to repair or replace your vehicle.
- Pain and suffering – Serious injuries may result in permanent disability and chronic pain. You can seek compensation for these losses, too.
If you were hurt in a truck accident, our Moreno Valley truck accident lawyers can give you a better sense of the compensation you might be entitled to when you contact us for your free case review.
Contact Us for Your Free Truck Accident Case Review
The Moreno Valley truck accident lawyers at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn are available to help you with every aspect of your legal claim. Trucking companies are fiercely defended by insurance companies and lawyers who will fervently fight for them. You deserve for your rights to be just as protected. For a free case review, contact us today.