Like any major life decision, choosing the right lawyer to help you with your legal issues requires two key commitments on your part: time and effort. You would never buy a car without doing some research, taking a test drive, or consulting a trusted consumer publication. In the same regard, you should never pick a lawyer without making sure they are a good fit for you and your case.
When choosing a lawyer, consider the following criteria and resources to help make your decision a smart one.
- Experience – Make sure the lawyer has extensive experience in the specific area of litigation you want to pursue. Trial lawyers need to have spent time in the courtroom. Small business lawyers should have a list of good references. Personal injury attorneys should have a track record of successful settlements, trial victories, and legal precedents.
- Take Your Time – This may seem obvious, but too many people jump the hoop too quickly just to get their case underway. The more time you take to find the right lawyer, the more time and money you’ll save in the future.
- What are your needs – Lawyers who specialize in drafting wills probably won’t be your best advocate in court. In the same regard, personal injury lawyers are probably not your best choice when dealing with tax laws. Assess your needs and then approach only those lawyers who specialize in your area of concern.
- Beware of Referrals – If a family or business lawyer claims they can’t help you but can refer you to someone who can, be wary. Especially when it comes to inter-firm recommendations. You need to be objective and determine whether or not the recommendation is your best choice.
- The Size Factor – How much individual time and attention do you want? Are you looking for a big firm with a famous name and an army of lawyers or a small, personalized firm that will spend a lot of time and energy with you? Ask yourself these questions before you begin approaching lawyers.
How a Lawyer Can Help
The right lawyer can help you understand your rights and responsibilities within the complex and ever-changing legal world. They can explain current trends in the area of law you wish to pursue, inform you of deadlines like statutes of limitations, offer honest advice about your chances of success, and work tirelessly to ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your losses and suffering. A qualified attorney may also be able to identify other components in your case that warrant possible litigation. Having competent legal representation is a huge advantage in cases such as personal injury, product liability, medical malpractice, insurance fraud, and more. The amount of time and money you will save, not to mention the amount of compensation you may receive, will make hiring a lawyer worth your while.
Aitken * Aitken * Cohn is committed to providing the highest quality legal representation and excellent customer service to ensure our clients have the best possible legal experience. If you feel we are the right lawyers for you, please contact us today to speak with an experienced and compassionate attorney who can evaluate your case FREE of charge and determine the best course of action for you.