Santa Ana Personal Injury Attorney
Accidents happen every day. If you have been injured in an accident caused by the recklessness or negligence of someone else, you may be able to recover damages, and the experienced Santa Ana personal injury attorney at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn may be able to help.
Contact Aitken * Aitken * Cohn in Santa Ana today at (866) 434-1424 or online to schedule a free consultation and learn more.
What Types of Cases Our Santa Ana Personal Injury Attorneys Handle?
The personal injury attorneys at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn have extensive experience in the following types of cases:
- Serious and permanent personal injuries including traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, birth injuries, and near-drowning injuries that result in a lifetime of care;
- Construction accidents;
- Motor vehicle accidents;
- Medical malpractice, including anesthesia errors, surgical errors, hospital errors, misdiagnosis, and medication errors;
- Nursing home abuse, including physical or emotional abuse, sexual abuse, and neglect;
- Wrongful death claims filed on behalf of a surviving spouse or domestic partner, children, stepchildren, parents who were financially dependent on the deceased, and other relatives, including siblings, if no closer relatives exist; and
- Insurance bad faith.
How Our Santa Ana Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
When you choose Aitken * Aitken * Cohn to represent you, our skilled legal team will:
- Investigate your accident to identify who is legally responsible and the extent of your injuries. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, there may be multiple liable parties;
- Identify all insurance policies held by the liable parties with coverage. We will also examine insurance you keep for coverage that should compensate you;
- Calculate your total economic loss from the accident, both present, and future;
- Ensure you have any additional assistance and support you need;
- Be available to answer any questions you have about the status of your case, and respond promptly to your calls and emails;
- Aggressively negotiate with the insurance companies in pursuit of the maximum compensation you deserve;
- File a personal injury lawsuit to demand appropriate compensation if there is no reasonable settlement; and
- Present a strong and persuasive case in court, if needed.
At Aitken * Aitken * Cohn, we believe the insurance payment you receive after a serious injury can begin to make you financially whole. It should free you from the lingering debt of your accident, and if you now have a disability, free you from worry about how to support yourself and your family in the future.
What Is a Personal Injury Suit?
The term “personal injury” covers a wide range of scenarios involving injuries caused by another person, business, or governmental entity’s negligence. However, insurance companies usually try to avoid paying the full amount required to reasonably compensate the injured party for their injuries and damages. If an acceptable settlement cannot be reached with the insurance company, then the injured person may file a civil personal injury lawsuit with the help of a Santa Ana personal injury attorney to obtain compensation.
Under California law, injured parties may claim economic damages, such as medical expenses and property loss, and non-economic damages, such as physical pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, inconvenience, and loss of enjoyment of life. Personal injury claims must meet specific requirements. Pursuing those claims with an insurance company or through the court is very time consuming and should be handled by a Santa Ana injury lawyer with significant experience handling personal injury matters.
Insurance Companies Will Try to Avoid Paying You
It is not unusual to hear from an insurance company adjuster soon after an injury-causing accident. Insurance adjusters typically offer settlements based on protecting their bottom lines, not your personal economic or non-economic losses. The insurance company is not looking after your best interests.
Therefore, you should never give a statement, sign anything, or accept any payment from an insurance company without speaking to an experienced Santa Ana personal injury attorney. You do not want to sign away your rights to the full compensation you need and deserve.
Is There a Time Limit to Filing a Santa Ana Personal Injury Claim?
The statute of limitations, or time limit, to file a personal injury claim in California is generally two years from the date of injury, subject to numerous exceptions. For example, most medical malpractice claims must be filed within one year of the malpractice. Another exception is when the at-fault party is a governmental entity. In those cases, claimants have just six months to file a personal injury claim and must follow a strict set of procedures in order to do so.
How To Get Compensation in Santa Ana Personal Injury Cases
Determining how much an accident has affected you financially and will continue to harm you, is crucial in a personal injury claim. Our Santa Ana accident attorneys go above and beyond to thoroughly document your damages and craft a solid case for compensation that includes both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include:
- Reimbursement for out-of-pocket payments or outstanding bills;
- Medical expenses, both current and future;
- Personal property damage; and
- Lost income, including projected future losses;
Non-economic damages include:
- Physical pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and
- Loss of consortium.
The payment of economic damages is according to an accounting of past, current, and projected costs related to your accident and injuries. Non-economic damages are determined by a jury, or in a negotiated settlement, based on evidence of the accident’s effect on you and your lifestyle.
Contact Our Santa Ana Personal Injury Attorney for Assistance with Your Case
Whether you need help negotiating a settlement with an insurance company or legal representation for a personal injury lawsuit, talk to the Santa Ana personal injury attorneys at Aitken * Aitken * Cohn as soon as possible. Our firm has a national reputation for the trial skills and committed advocacy we provide to each of our clients. We accept cases on a contingency basis, meaning the costs of litigation and attorney’s fees come from any eventual settlement or verdict rather than upfront from the client.
Contact Aitken * Aitken * Cohn in Santa Ana today at (714) 434-1424 or online to schedule a free consultation to learn if we can help you. Don’t wait another day to get the legal help you need. Our goal is to determine your maximum compensation, then fight fiercely for the money you deserve.