San Bernardino Birth Injury Attorney
Knowledgeable Birth Injury Lawyers Serving San Bernardino, CA
While the rate of birth injuries in San Bernardino is very low, the families who are affected by them often live with permanent consequences. If you suspect medical negligence caused the injury of your child, contact a San Bernardino birth injury attorney at the law firm of Aitken * Aitken * Cohn.
Through a birth injury lawsuit, affected parents can seek and recover compensation to ease the strains of raising a disabled child. The responsible healthcare providers should be held accountable for their actions. At Aitken * Aitken * Cohn, our attorneys fight tirelessly and with aggression to make sure this happens.
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare provider fails to exercise the proper care as recognized by the medical community. Birth injuries can cause death, permanent disability and developmental disorders. A birth injury lawsuit can help pay for raising the child, as well as offer compensation for pain and suffering. In many cases a San Bernardino birth injury attorney will also seek to have punitive damages awarded to the victims.
What Is A Birth Injury?
A birth injury, also known as birth trauma or birth-related injury, is a physical injury or damage that occurs to a newborn baby during the process of childbirth. These injuries can happen during labor and delivery, and they can result from a variety of factors, including the baby’s position, the mother’s health, the medical care provided, and the use of medical instruments during delivery. Birth injuries can vary in severity, and while some may be minor and temporary, others can be more serious and have long-term consequences.
Common types of birth injuries include:
- Brachial Plexus Injury: This is damage to the network of nerves controlling the arm and hand muscles. It can occur when excessive force is applied to the baby’s head and neck during delivery.
- Cerebral Palsy: Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders affecting a child’s ability to control movement and posture. It can result from brain damage during birth or shortly thereafter.
- Erb’s Palsy: Erb’s palsy is a type of brachial plexus injury that affects the upper arm. It can lead to weakness or paralysis of the affected arm.
- Fractures: Babies can suffer bone fractures, usually in the clavicle or collarbone, during a difficult delivery.
- Facial Nerve Injury: Sometimes, pressure on the baby’s face during delivery can lead to temporary facial nerve damage, resulting in temporary facial weakness.
- Perinatal Asphyxia: Insufficient oxygen supply during labor and delivery can lead to brain damage and a range of neurological problems.
- Intracranial Hemorrhage: Bleeding inside the baby’s skull can occur during delivery, leading to brain damage.
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): HIE is a condition where the baby’s brain doesn’t receive enough oxygen and blood flow during birth, potentially causing long-term neurological problems.
It’s important to note that not all birth injuries are preventable, and sometimes they occur despite the best medical care and efforts. However, some birth injuries can be linked to medical negligence or malpractice, such as improper monitoring, the misuse of medical instruments, or delays in responding to complications during childbirth.
Contact An Experienced San Bernardino Birth Injury Attorney
When a birth injury occurs, medical professionals will assess the extent of the injury and provide appropriate care and treatment. In some cases, ongoing therapy and interventions may be necessary to help the child recover or manage their condition. Parents may also have legal options if they believe that medical malpractice or negligence contributed to the birth injury.