San Bernardino Dog Bite Attorney
Knowledgeable Dog Bite Attorneys Serving San Bernardino, CA
If you’ve been attacked by a dog, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the owner. Dog bites can cause devastating injuries to children and adults alike. If you or your child has suffered disfiguring injuries from an uncontrolled and dangerous animal, the owner should be held liable. For more information, contact our San Bernardino dog bite attorney at the law firm of Aitken * Aitken * Cohn. Our attorneys have extensive experience with serious personal injury cases and can help you seek compensation for your injury, pain, and suffering.
Dog Bite Information
California law states that the owner of a dog is liable for any injuries caused by the dog, whether while in a public place, or lawfully in a private place, including on the dog owner’s property. The owner is liable for injuries even if the animal was temporarily or permanently in the care of someone else and even if the dog never attacked anyone before.
Some cases involve owner negligence such as:
- Failing to control a dog
- Mishandling of a dog
- Violating an animal control law or local leash laws
- Putting a dog in a situation that could cause injury
A dog bite lawyer will explain that if an animal is provoked, or if the person injured is trespassing or committing another criminal act in the owner’s home, the rules of liability can change. However, the law provides special protections for children who are bitten or attacked by dogs and other animals.
Liability laws also state that anyone who owns a dog or animal in the state of California is liable for property damage as well as injuries.
Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bite injuries can range from minor to severe and may encompass a variety of physical and psychological effects. These injuries can occur when a dog bites, scratches, or injures a person in any way. Common dog bite injuries include:
- Puncture Wounds: Dog bites often result in puncture wounds, as a dog’s teeth can penetrate the skin and underlying tissues. Puncture wounds can be deep and may require medical attention to prevent infection.
- Lacerations: Some dog bites can cause deep, jagged, or extensive cuts, which may damage muscles, blood vessels, and nerves. Lacerations may require sutures or surgical repair.
- Tissue and Muscle Damage: Dog bites can cause damage to soft tissues and muscles, leading to bruising, swelling, and pain in the affected area.
- Infections: Dog saliva contains bacteria, and infections are a common concern in dog bite injuries. Infections can lead to cellulitis, abscesses, and, in severe cases, sepsis.
- Scarring: Depending on the location and severity of the bite, dog bites can result in permanent scarring, which may necessitate plastic or reconstructive surgery.
- Nerve Damage: In severe cases, dog bites can damage nerves, leading to pain, weakness, or numbness in the affected area. Nerve injuries may require specialized medical treatment or surgery.
Contact a San Bernardino Dog Bite Attorney
A dog bite lawyer can help you receive the maximum compensation you deserve following a vicious animal attack. Dog bites can seriously affect your quality of life, and often leave devastating emotional and physical scars. When children are attacked, the injuries can be even more devastating or fatal. A dog bite lawsuit can help you recover compensatory damages from the owner, including:
- Lost income
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
Contact our expert San Bernardino dog bite attorneys at the law firm of Aitken * Aitken * Cohn. We have been representing injury victims for over 30 years, and have the experience and litigation skills you need.