San Bernardino Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Diligent Paralysis Injury Lawyers Serving San Bernardino, CA
Spinal cord injuries are devastating injuries that often result in paralysis and can easily be fatal. If you or a family member has received one of these traumatic injuries and are thinking about pursuing an injury lawsuit, contact a San Bernardino spinal cord injury attorney at the law firm of Aitken * Aitken * Cohn. Our attorneys and staff have extensive experience handling catastrophic injuries such as spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries and can help you recover the maximum amount of compensation available.
Spinal Cord Injury Information
The treatment and diagnosis of a spinal cord injury will be determined by which area of the spinal column is affected. In most cases muscle functions beneath the injured vertebrae will be permanently impaired. Injuries from the chest down can affect control of the legs, bowels, bladder, and sexual function, while a neck injury can affect the entire body and may also impact the ability to breathe.
There are two types of spinal cord injuries: complete and incomplete. A complete spinal cord injury causes permanent damage to the affected area of the spinal cord, resulting in paraplegia or tetraplegia. On the other hand, an incomplete injury means that the ability of the spinal cord to convey messages to or from the brain is not completely lost.
Spinal Cord or Paralysis Injury Lawsuit
Statistics of spinal cord injury information show that 55 percent of the patients are between 16-30 years old and the overwhelming majority is male. Treatment & diagnosis is improving, but paralysis is usually permanent. The injuries are usually caused by a violent blow to the spine which crushes or fractures vertebrae.
Spinal cord injuries (SCIs) can result from various causes, and they often lead to varying degrees of impairment. The most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car, motorcycle, and other motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of spinal cord injuries. The force of impact can damage the spine. Call our San Bernardino car accident lawyer in the case of an accident.
- Falls: Falls from heights or on slippery surfaces can result in spinal cord injuries, particularly in older adults.
- Sports Injuries: High-impact sports like football, rugby, and gymnastics can lead to spinal cord injuries, especially if proper safety precautions are not taken.
- Recreational Accidents: Activities such as diving into shallow water, skiing, and snowboarding can result in spinal cord injuries.
- Surgery Complications: In rare cases, spinal cord injuries can occur as a complication of spinal surgery or other medical procedures.
- Infections: Infections that affect the spinal cord, such as abscesses or viral infections like polio, can cause injury.
When you have sustained an injury of any sort, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately to receive the care that you need. Early treatment is the key to healing from your paralysis or spinal injuries.
Contact Our San Bernardino Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Today
Many of the accidents that lead to spinal cord injuries are caused by the reckless actions of other people. If you’ve suffered an injury to the spine, a qualified attorney can assist you in determining liability. If your injury is in fact caused by another person’s recklessness, you will most likely be able to seek compensation through legal action. To find out if you qualify to file a claim that would seek compensation for your medical bills, long term treatment costs and pain and suffering, please contact a San Bernardino spinal cord injury attorney today.